Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Pantry Inventory, Part 2: The cupboards

Most of these items are usually kept in the basement. I have 2 large shelving units that my dad made in one corner so I can keep like things together. Anything marked with an * was home canned last summer.
Sauces, Condiments, and Jams:
Pasta, tomato, pints*
Salsa, pints*
Cheddar cheese sauce
Alfred sauce
BBQ, Sweet Baby Rays
Pizza, pints*
Pancake syrup
Green tomato relish*
Italian dressing
Ranch dressing
French dressing
Mustard, yellow
Ketchup (must be Heinz, we don't like the others)
Strawberry Jam*
Apple Butter*
Blueberry Peach Jam*
Blackberry Jam*

Pastas, Grain, and Helpers: (I keep these upstairs, since they are in boxes)
Stove top stuffing
Garden rotini
Spaghetti
Lasagna
Egg Noodles
Couscous
Chicken Alfredo Homestyle Helper

Fruits:
Cocktail/Mixed Fruit
Pears*
Peaches*
Pineapple
Mandarin Oranges

Meats and Beans:
Tuna
Chicken
Salmon
Grillin Beans
Chili beans
Northern Beans
Refried Beans

Veggies:
Green Beans*
Pumpkin
Potatoes (I keep canned potatoes for quick mashed potatoes when I'm in a hurry)
Corn
Mushrooms
Dill Pickles*
Mixed Veggies
Peas
Tomatoes, quarts*
Diced tomatoes, Italian style

Soups and Assorted Ingredients:
Chicken Noodle Soup
Vegetable Beef Soup
Bean and Bacon Soup
Ramen Noodles
Turkey Chili (For quick chili-chees hot dogs or Chili-cheese baked potatoes)
Diced green Chilis
Chicken broth
Beef Broth
Cream Soups (I think I'll try making my own when these are gone)
Sweetened Condensed Milk
Tomato Sauce
Tomato Paste


Pie Fillings (all of these are home canned):
Peach
Cherry
Strawberry
Blueberry

Baking Ingredients:
Chocolate Chips
Hershey's cocoa powder
All purpose flour
Self rising flour
Whole wheat flour
Granulated sugar
Brown sugar
Powder sugar
Assorted spices, flavorings, food color, etc



We only have a couple of grocery stores around here, including Kroger, Wal-Mart, and Save A Lot. Our Save A Lot is just a dirty store, so I very seldom shop there. Wal-Mart is too high on most things. I buy frozen veggies, soups, and meat at Kroger when there is a good sale. Otherwise, I drive about an hour 3-4 times each year to a larger town, where there is a Sam's Club and an Aldi, and stock up. I very seldom buy ingredients for a specific meal, instead stocking my pantry well and then menu-planning based on what I have on hand.

No comments: