Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas, Christmas, time is here

Christmas is coming near...
Last Sunday was our Christmas play at church. Hubby and I sang in the choir and son was a shepherd. The play we did was called "Arise, Shine"

This coming Saturday is my grandmothers Christmas brunch. I will be taking a variety of muffins to contribute.

Yesterday and today, son had no school due to the weather, so I have had him busy helping me in the kitchen. So far we have made:
2 dozen banana muffins
2 dozen mixed berry muffins (Strawberry, blackberry, and raspberry)
1 dozen peach muffins
1 1/2 gallons of puppy chow (AKA Christmas trash)

FOr the muffins, I use the same basic recipe, just substituting the fruits used. I'll try to post that recipe at a later time. Puppy Chow or Christmas Trash recipe is below:
1 box (or equivalent) of Crispix cereal
1 stick of butter
1 c. of peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
3 c. powdered (icing) sugar

Melt the butter in a small saucepan on the stove. Add in peanut butter, stirring until well disolved. Stir in vanilla. Dump the cereal in a large bowl that has a tight fitting lid (this is the most important step). Pour the butter mixture over the cereal, toss to coat with a spoon. Add 1 c. of the sugar, put the lid on the bowl, and shake well. Repeat with remaining sugar until mix is well coated.
This is the original recipe. Today I used 1/2 box Crispix, 1 box of kix, and a medium bag of M&M's, and doubled the PB mix. This makes a nice gift when packaged in a pretty tin or jar, or even in plastic bag tied up with ribbon.

Tomorrow I will be making cornflake candy and snowman soup (hot cocoa mix), to package along with the Puppy Chow and send as teacher and bus driver gifts.

No comments: