Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My Testimony

I am a Christian, although I have not always been one. In my late teens/early twenties, I struggled with many issues. I allowed myself to be influenced by people that, at the time, I thought were my friends. At age 19, I fell in what I *thought* was love, and we planned a wedding that would take place shortly after I turned twenty. To make a long story short, the relationship was tumultous, and I realized that marrying this man was not in my best interest. Shortly after making this decision, I found out that I was pregnant. When I told the father, he had no interest in helping me raise our child together. My parents, after their initial shock and anger, were more than willing to help. I moved back in with my parents, and in June of 2002, gave birth to a 7 pound 12 ounce baby boy. My son made me re-evaluate my life and the things I had been doing, and my unhealthy behavior was eliminated from my life. I went back to work in order to support my son (I recieved no child support), and I enrolled in an accredited online university to finish my education. Although outwardly it appeared that my life was on track, I still knew that something was missing.

In 2005, my aunt invited my son to attend her church's vacation Bible school. I allowed him to attend, and he enjoyed it very much. On the final night, a commencement service was held, and the pastor invited everyone to attend church there. That Sunday morning I went, and was instantly welcomed by the church members. I had attended other churches in the past, but had never recieved such a warm welcome. Sunday evening came, and I went to services once more. After that, I felt an expliciable pull to attend church, and could not wait for the next service to roll around. After attending this church for approximately 3 weeks, during altar call one morning, I realized that God was directing me, pulling me toward His embrace, and I accepted Jesus Christ on that day, as the members sang the hymn "Just As I Am." A feeling of indescribable peace washed over me at that instant.

Only a few weeks after this, I was introduced to my now husband by mutual friends. I truly believe that God led hubby and I together, and we continue to grow as new Christians together.

Many people believe that once they profess their faith for God that they are saved, and can continue to live their lives as they see fit. However, I personally believe that God wants us to be the best Christian that we can be. This is an ongoing process. I would like to be able to tell you that after that day, I was never tempted by any type of sin. But if I said that, I would be lying. am tempted and struggle with satan each and every day. I spend a lot of time praying that God will guide me on the path that He wants me to follow, and here is the clincher, I listen for His answers to my prayers. God doesn't always answer in the way I want Him to, but he does always answer.

No comments: