I hate moving! I hope I never have to move again after this time. But here are a few of the things I do to make moving a bit easier. It works for me.
1. Ask anyone and everyone you know for empty boxes. If you can get boxes that are all one size, that is great, but any size will work.
2. Use washcloths between glass plates, bowls, etc. instead of newspaper.
3. On each box, use a dark marker to write what room it goes in, and a brief description of what is in the box. (EX: Jake's room, Action figures).
4. Start packing 1-2 weeks before you move. Pack up everything that is not essential. Buy paper plates and use those until you move.
5. The day before the move, go ahead and begin loading the Uhaul if possible. Pack a suitcase for each family member with 2-3 outfits, toothbrushes, medications, etcetera. That way, if you are too tired to unpack everything, you will at least have the basics.
6. Pick up fast food for meals on moving day. Or, pack a cooler with sandwiches, drinks, and snacks. You will not feel like cooking on that day.
7. Load your living room and dining room furniture onto the truck first. Load your beds last. In most houses, you have to go through the living and dining room to get to the bedrooms. Set up your beds as soon as you unload them. Go on and make them up, first thing. You'll be glad you did that later.
8. If there is something that you are concerned will be broken (for me it is a porcelain doll made by my grandmother who died before I was born), pack it well in a box. The doll is wrapped in two large bath towels, placed in the box, and the rest of the box is stuffed with extra socks, t-shirts, etc. Move these items on your own, if you can lift it.
9. This is the most important tip of all: Relax! moving is stressful on everyone, but it will all come together eventually.
Slow Day: Week 21
16 hours ago