Friday, October 17, 2008

It's been awhile

So here I am back again. The semester is halfway finished, and I am trying to get caught up on the paperwork portion, entering grades, and all of the miscellanious behind the scenes stuff that applies to academia. I am also taking the statistics course that is required for my PhD.
On the home front, things are going really well. Hubby and I are getting along great, just acting goofy. I was worried about this some when I changed jobs a few months ago, because with my previous job, I worked a lot more hours. We just had to adjust to actually having so much time together. Son is excelling in first grade. He loves learning so much! I do have a gripe, though. Each semester, the school nurse calculates the BMI for each student. Son is 6 years old, 4 feet tall, and weighs 55 lbs. At his checkup with his doctor last month, we were told he is completely normal. His school nurse, however, sent home a paper saying that he, along with 95% of all first graders in the school, is overweight. This is not my gripe, however, too many children are obese, and early detection is the best prevention, IMO. My complaint is that in the same folder with this letter, was another letter about the Pizza Hut book it program. If they read for 30 minutes each night for a month, at the end of the month the students are rewarded with a coupon for a free individual pizza. So, almost all of the first grade class is overweight, and the school wants them to be sedentary for an extra half hour each night and then feed them pizza. Am I the only one who doesn't get this? Reading is great, I love to read personally, but how about rewarding them with an extra hour of PE, or a game of dodgeball or something else active, instead of food.
Food is supposed to be for nourishment, not as a reward or punishment.

No comments: